It's that time of year again - the holidays are upon us! For many, this is a wonderful and festive time. But for others, it can be a source of stress and anxiety. If you're feeling overwhelmed by the holiday hustle and bustle, here are eight ways to help you get through it with less stress. From taking breaks to staying organized, these tips will help you enjoy the season while keeping your sanity intact!
1. Don't sweat the small stuff One of the best ways to stay calm during the holidays is not to sweat the small stuff. Of course, there will always be things that don't go according to plan, but it's important to remember that the holidays are about spending time with loved ones and enjoying yourself. So if something goes wrong, roll with it, and don't let it ruin your holiday.
2. Make a list...and check it twice Another way to stay calm during the holidays is to be as prepared as possible. Make a list of everything you need to do, and check things off early. Once you are clear on what needs to be done, plan a time to get them done in your calendar. This will guide you in ensuring things are done, or you know when you will have time to get them done so you can stay present in each moment. The more prepared you are, the less likely you are to feel overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done.
3. Take some time for yourself It's also important to take some time for yourself during the holidays. This may mean taking a few minutes each day to relax in a quiet space or going for a walk outside. Taking time for yourself will help you recharge and better handle the stress of the holidays.
4. Don't forget to breathe When things start to feel overwhelming, it's important to remember to take a deep breath and relax. Stress can cause our breathing to become shallow, so taking deep breaths will help you calm down and focus on what's important.
5. Set realistic expectations It's important to set realistic expectations for yourself during the holidays. If you expect everything to be perfect, you will likely feel disappointed and stressed. So instead, focus on enjoying quality time with loved ones and savoring the little moments.
6. Stick to a Budget Another way to reduce holiday stress is to stick to a budget. This will help you to avoid overspending and going into debt. Additionally, setting aside some money each month to save extra funds for holiday expenses can be helpful. Finally, writing out who you need to shop for and how much you plan to spend will keep you on that budget.
7. I know this might sound crazy, but ask for help. If you're feeling overwhelmed, don't hesitate to ask for help from family and friends. Delegating tasks can help reduce your workload and make the holiday season more enjoyable for everyone involved.
8. Smile! Last but not least, one of the best ways to stay calm during the holidays is to smile. Smiling has been shown to reduce stress levels, so even if you're feeling overwhelmed, try to keep a positive attitude and enjoy this special time of year.
The holidays can be a stressful time for many people. But by using these eight tips, you can reduce the stress you experience and enjoy the season more! So which tip are you going to try first?