The holiday season is here, which means it's time to gather with friends and family. To make the most of this festive occasion, you want to be at your best. A pre-holiday detox will help boost your immune system and prepare you for all that socializing! With these 10 steps, you'll be well on your way to feeling healthy and ready for anything during this hectic time of year.
- Step One: Eat Foods to Help Detoxify Your System - Eating whole foods provides your body with all the nutrients it needs. Whole, plant-based foods contain antioxidants and phytonutrients that help flush out unnecessary toxins from our bodies naturally. In addition, eat plenty of organic fruits and vegetables. These will give you a boost of detoxifying fiber.
- Step Two: Drink Plenty of Water - Dehydration can lead to a sluggish detox process, so make sure you are drinking plenty of water (at least half your body weight in ounces per day). Not only does water help flush toxins out of the body, but it is also essential for transporting nutrients to our cells and helping us feel energized.
- Step Three: Avoid Processed Foods and Sugar - The overconsumption of processed foods and sugar can overload our detoxification pathways and impede the cleansing process. In addition, these unhealthy foods contain artificial additives, chemicals, pesticides, and other toxins that can congest our systems. Therefore, it's best to avoid them as much as possible during your detox.
- Step Four: Limit Alcohol Consumption (I know, no fun!) - Drinking alcohol is another factor that can impede detoxification. Alcohol consumption decreases detoxification enzymes and impairs liver function, which slows down the detox process. Therefore, it's best to limit your intake as much as possible during a pre-holiday detox.
- Step Five: Exercise - A healthy workout routine will help boost energy levels and strengthen immunity before you enter into those holiday festivities. Make sure to exercise safely by staying hydrated and wearing proper clothing, especially if that exercising is outdoors.
- Step Six: Get Plenty of Restful Sleep - Getting enough sleep every night helps restore our bodies from the inside out, including all major organs involved in detoxifying such as your liver, kidneys, skin, and intestines. Aim for at least eight hours of sleep each night during your detox period.
- Step Seven: Take detox Supplements - There are several detox supplements on the market that can help support your body's cleansing process. Some popular detox supplements include fiber, probiotics, herbs such as milk thistle and dandelion root, and omega-fatty acids.
- Step Eight: Use Essential Oils - Certain essential oils have detoxifying properties that can help boost your immune system and promote overall health. For example, try adding lavender oil to a hot bath or diffuse lemon oil to create a refreshing atmosphere in your living room.
- Step Nine: Practice Meditation or Yoga - meditation and yoga provide deep relaxation, which is key to detoxification. Take some time each day to breathe deeply and stretch your body to help it release toxins naturally.
- Step Ten: Drink Detox Teas - There are many detox teas on the market that can provide you with a boost of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, amino acids, healthy fats, and enzymes all at once! Try drinking detox tea every morning during this pre-holiday detox for an extra nutritional boost.
This season, take a break from the stress of your daily life and get ready for all that holiday cheer with these 10 simple steps. You'll be feeling great in no time! If you need help staying healthy this winter or have any questions about how to keep on top of your health during the holidays, join our newsletter so we can keep you informed of new blog posts like this one. We'd love to hear what's going well in your detox plan, too - share it with us in the comments section below!